Dear ISA Houston Section members,
I welcome you all to the new 2020-2021 term. As new leaders take up their roles and some current members switch roles within the board of directors, I am honored to be your new president for the term and hope to serve the section with the knowledge and experience I have gained in my career as an Automation professional, an Educator, an ISA member and as a ISA volunteer. As we transition from the 2019-2020 term, we must take pause and note the impact of the COVID virus worldwide and its effects to the global Automation community. My most immediate task at hand is to ensure a smooth transition to the new term and to the new normal created by the COVID virus. From there, my top priorities are to assist the Houston section in adapting to the new normal by incorporating remote outreach toolsets such as web based communications, webinars / training events , to strengthen ISA relations with our current community and drive new unions between ISA and complementing organizations to expand ISA’s global audience.
My life journey with ISA has been a rewarding one, I’ve been inspired by the ISA community and its members who have devoted their time to the society and to the advancement of its vision through education, standards, publications, divisions, geographic districts and sections. With ISA, I have increased my professional circle and knowledge in the diverse fields of Information Technology, Operations Technology, Risk Management and Cyber Security. As these once diverse fields unite into the next era of Automation, I am continually astounded that ISA had predicted that the union of these fields would define new Automation community roles and has implemented a structure so that its members remain competent and competitive.
I am excited to share exciting news about some initiatives which I will be carrying forward from the previous term.
- Continue bringing fresh ideas to our section’s scholarship fund-raising traditions, such as the Chili and Cajun Cook-offs and the Golf Tournament. Focus will be to expand the outreach and enhance our society’s vision and mission through these events.
- Increase the support to our student liaison team, enhance ISA HS support to annual events such as FIRST Robotics competition and the Science Fair.
- Increase involvement and participation by all our members by spreading the knowledge about the section’s activities on more regular basis through Social Media and upgraded website.
Following are some of the numerous fresh initiatives that are under development for the section, please stay tuned for further details:
- We will work with ISA and our District 7 sister Sections to overcome obstacles related to COVID that prevent our section from advancing the ISA Mission. This is includes adapting our way of business to maximize the new normal.
- We will engage the modernization of the ISA toolsets, including updates to the of corporate, district and section website. This is to highlight tools like the Member Resource Center and ISA Connect that expand members ability to network with each other.
- We will adapt to the new normal by leveraging Virtual Meetings: including Board of Director / Program meetings, webinars and instructor led remote trainings. This will reduce the constraints for hard venues thus increasing the geographic range of our attendees while maintaining recommended social distancing recommendations.
- We will expand beyond our current audience of automation professionals and sponsors to include diverse organizations that offer new audiences and complement our vision.
I invite all Houston Section members to engage in their section’s calendar of events and voice their opinions via e-mail to me (email@example.com). Your suggestions and opinion matter and help your elected board in shaping up our path for the term. Our main task is to serve you, the section members, so that you stay connected and involved with the Vision, Mission and Values of the society and together we take it to the next level.
I hope to hear from you!
F. Scott Churchman
President – ISA Houston Section 2020-21