Length : 2 Days
CEU Credits : 1.4
Course Hours : 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Certification of Completion: A Certificate of Completion indicating the total number of CEUs earned will be provided upon successful completion of the course.
Certificate Program: This course is required for the ISA84 Safety Instrumented Systems Certificate Program 2. When you register for the course, the certificate exam is included with your registration. Please send an email to email@example.com for further requirements for the exam. ISA Course Safety Instrumented Systems-A Life-Cycle Approach (EC50) or Safety Instrumented Systems: A Life-Cycle Approach (EC50E) and ISA Certificate Safety Instrumented Systems Certificate Program 1 are prerequisites for Certificate Program 2. Those who successfully complete this course and pass the exam receive the designation of ISA84 SIL Selection Specialist.
This course focuses on further hands-on examples of Safety Integrity Level (SIL) selection using a variety of different techniques and providing more insight into the factors that determine risk reduction requirements. Students will be better able to save their companies time and money through the optimization of system performance requirements.This builds upon the foundation set in ISA’s EC50 (Safety Instrumented Systems-A Life-Cycle Approach).
You will be able to:
Develop and implement different SIL selection techniques within your organization, including the risk matrix, risk graph, and LOPA (Layer Of Protection Analysis), in order to determine the appropriate level of performance needed of your safety systems. This will prevent you from over or under designing the system requirements and will save your organization time and money.
You will cover:
- Prevention of System Requirements Over- or Under-Design
- Determination of the Appropriate Level of Performance Needed for Your Safety Systems
- Safety Integrity Level (SIL) Selection Hands-on Examples: 3-Dimensional Risk Matrix | Risk Graph | LOPA (Layer of Protection Analysis) | Modified (implicit) LOPA
- The course consists of multiple application exercises of safety integrity level selection
- Students are encouraged to bring their own examples to cover in class
A hand-held/scientific calculator should be brought to class
Classroom Copies of ISA/IEC 61511standards will be provided for your use during the course
Textbook Included: Safety Integrity Level Selection – Systematic Methods Including Layer of Protection Analysis by Edward M. Marszal, PE and Dr. Eric W. Scharpf, MIPENZ
Recommended Course Prerequisites:
- ISA course Safety Instrumented Systems-Design, Analysis, and Justification (EC50 or EC50E) or fundamental understanding of Safety Instrumented Systems
Not sure this particular course is for you?
A pre-instructional survey is available for you to evaluate your level of understanding of the course material and to show you the types of questions you’ll be able to answer after completing the course.